Reception Class Home Learning
Below are some links and activities for the children in Reception Class.
Oak National Academy
Please click on the link below to access a daily schedule of lessons for your child.Your child will need a laptop or a tablet / iPad to access the lessons.
Home Learning Packs
Twinkl are offering free school closure home learning packs that cover a wide range of ideas and resources to support your child’s learning in the event of a school closure.
Espresso is an online learning service that offers a wide range of subjects mapped to the curriculum.
On Discovery Education, pupils can also access ‘Espresso Coding’ (using the same username and password)
Phonics play have temporarily granted everyone free access. There are some great games and activities on there to support the learning of phonics.
Pupils can also:
- Complete tasks on their Homework Grid
- Carry out daily reading (use books from home or MyOn for KS2)
- Practise daily times tables (using the grids from the website)
- Practise daily spellings (using the lists sent home previously)
Phonics Screening – Past Checks
Below are previous Phonics Screening Checks that happen in Year 1
Suggested activities to do at home:
- Identifying different types of money (coin rubbings)
- Make a shop to sell items to the family and don’t forget the change!
- Count any change in the house, put them in piles to help count them
- Telling the time: digital and analogue
- Learn the Times Tables
- Learn Number Bonds to 10, 20 and 100
- Count in 2, 5 and 10s
- Measuring things in mm, cm and m
- Learning days of the week and months of the year (and how to spell them)
- Know the number of seconds in a minute, the number of days in each month and number of days in a year / leap year
- Know 2D and 3D shapes
- Learn Roman Numerals
- Know how to use a protractor to measure angles
- Use a grid to plot coordinates
- Calculate area and perimeter
- Know how to write full name (including middle names)
- Read books – see if you can then quiz on them on Accelerated Reader
- Keep a diary
- Create a newspaper
- Write a letter asking Mrs Horne for something to make the school even better on your return. (Use persuasive language)
- Write a poem about your senses
- Write a poem about someone. Could be a family member or someone famous
- Write a letter to an elderly or isolated person
- Write and illustrate a story book
- Video a news report
- Look at the Newsround website
- Practise joining up handwriting
- Research different types of birds (sparrows, robins, goldfinches, magpies, cormorants, owls etc) What do they look like? How long do they live? What are their eggs like? Any AMAZING Facts?
- Do a bird watch in your garden. Count the different types. Draw a graph to show your findings
- Research different animals e.g. lion, tiger, rhinoceros, dolphin, octopus, starfish, seahorse, whale, shark, sloth, giraffe, hedgehog, fox, wolf etc..
- Draw and find out the names of different trees. What leaves do they have? E.g. oak, ash, sycamore, beach, elder, hawthorn…
- Draw and find out different names of flowers. E.g. rose, daffodil, bluebell etc..
- If you have a garden, ask your parents can you grow something? Pull out weeds? Water flowers?
- Go to the woods. What animals can you find? Look under logs.
- Shell collecting on the beach. What can you find? What creature made them?
- Design your own town. Where would you put.. houses, roads, hospital, factory, shops, parks, bowls green, tennis courts, football/ cricket pitch, Town Hall, bank, post office, petrol station, dentist, garage etc…
- Draw map of world. Find out where countries are eg UK, USA, Russia, France, Germany, China, India, Australia, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Egypt, Japan etc..
- Learn the five continents
- Make your own board game and play it with people in your house.
- Make a quiz and test the people in your house.
- Making things out of cardboard e.g. fort, castle, palace, town, boat
- Star jumps, press-ups, spotty dogs,
- Find out all the Olympic Games events and world records.
- Baking or cooking
- Do a workout with Jumpstart Jonny: www.jumpstartjonny.co.uk/free-stuff
- Do some Yoga: www.cosmickids.com
- Learn to play Chess and other board games
- Learn some French
- Research different religions
- Observational Sketching
- Learn to tie shoe laces
- Learn to ride a bike
- Learn to sew
- Learn to play guitar / piano / ukulele
- Learn how to use a washing machine
- Learn to touch type www.typingclub.com